“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower
Introduction- Why Plan?
It is very important to plan ahead. So that we do not lose ourselves in the overflowing sea of great resources and things to learn. There are so many great resources out there, it can be overwhelming. Only if we had unlimited time!
I believe it is important to meticulously plan ahead in order to achieve goals.
Why Do it Publicly?
Planning ahead and putting your plans for everyone to see is not a novel concept. People have been doing this for decades. When you commit to something publicly, you are more likely to finish and achieve your goals.
The plan can be, and often end up being a vehicle of taking active part in the community. The people who have similar goals, can recognize and communicate with you when you are making your intentions public.
Without further ado, let me present to you my plan for the next twelve months-
- I want to be able to generate human faces and objects with state-of-the-art GANs (currently, I can generate MNIST-style digits with GANs).
- Study more Deep Reinforcement Learning and be able to understand and implement modern state-of-the-art algorithms and solve real world problems with them.
- Make some quality projects involving Computer Vision that solves real-world problems.
- Write at least 5-7 high quality blog posts and tutorials in Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning and related topics.
- I want to be more active on Kaggle and author useful Notebooks, and take part in competitions more actively and possibly rank up in multiple categories.
- I want to be a better programmer. I would like to learn about different programming paradigms with different programming languages.
- Learn Deep Learning in a much more theoretical, mathematical manner.
- I would like to learn PyTorch in an advanced manner so that I can do really custom stuff with it. Right now, I know enough to get by for common tasks.
Where to Find Me
If you are here, it is a good place to connect with me. And I have already listed places where I am active. I will share tidbits, tutorials, and blogs throughout my journey. Here are the links-
These goals will provide me with a framework to follow. These are not inscriptions in stone! You might notice me not listing any particular MOOC or books. That is by design. Because I believe in picking up learning resources iteratively, by trial and error. And this type of planning really fits the bill.
Everyone’s situation is different. I hope that I could provide you with a framework, a kind of a guide on how to set goals for a set period of time. Feel free to take inspiration, and be sure to criticize and/or provide feedback. And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.